Let’s Get Back to School, Hancock County
It’s hard to believe it’s already time to think about heading back to school. If it’s hard for your brain to register (like it is for ours), consult this list to make sure everything is in order before the next “first day” arrives.
Get Back to School with These 7 Tips
Back to school means supplies, snacks, forms and more. Here’s our go-to list for keeping it all straight:
- Medical forms are often required for the start of school. Whether it’s a full physical, updated immunization records, dental forms or eye checks, there’s a lot that needs to be turned in. If you haven’t already, take the time this week to a make a list of anything required for your kids and make appointments if needed.
- From a new box of crayons to fancy calculators, school supplies are a sure sign of school starting. While most big stores have back-to-school specials, don’t forget about Hancock County Community Night where you can pick up free school supplies for young scholars.
- The weather is still toasty, but cooler days are not far off. Do a quick clothes assessment to see what will be needed in the coming months. Don’t forget things like shoes and jackets.
- A new school year can mean new logistics for family members. Gather the household adults to compare calendars and schedules for each person in the family. In addition to kiddo drop-offs and pick-ups, don’t forget work dinners, extracurriculars, and perhaps the occasional date night!
- If you’re packing school lunches and handing out afterschool snacks, you know how tastes change. Survey your kiddos for favorite on-the-go snacks, easy lunches, and quick dinners. Keep this list handy and update throughout the year as tastes change … again.
- Create a list of numbers for all your kids’ caregivers and schools. Keep this easily accessible for all household adults (Tip: a shared digital document can be a lifesaver). This will come in handy for sick days, last-minute schedule changes, and more. Add in numbers for the parents of favorite friends as friendships develop throughout the year.
- School paperwork … oy! Identify one spot to serve as the repository for all the paper that breeds in your kiddos’ backpacks. Having one spot for permission slips, school event notices and picture day forms will save your sanity … we promise!
Gateway Hancock Health wishes your family a wonderful return-to-the-school-year routine. We can’t help you with packing school lunches, but we are absolutely here for last-minute sick visits or sports physicals. Happy first day of school, Hancock County!